Are you are looking for a programme or a presentation to provide information, discussion & tools about body image, body wonderment, body acceptance, body neutrality, media & social influences, celebrating body diversity, eliminating ‘fat talk’ & encouraging body trust? Body Talk© was co-designed with students to address the increasing pressures on youth to look ‘perfect’, to assist them in understanding ‘health at every size®’ and to work towards developing greater self esteem. It is run as a a day programme/workshop or as a series of classes. In whichever format, Nest ensure ongoing resources to ensure this is not a one off conversation & becomes school culture. Impact elements of the programme can also be packaged as a 1 hour/90 mins presentation. We have programmes for unisex groups or, if preferred, more targeted groups. This programme is designed as a whole school approach with adapted programmes suitable from Yr 1 – Yr 13 with additional elements of Teacher PD and Whanau Info sessions.
Your preferred provider, now NZ-wide! Our Educators are qualified as facilitators of the Dove self esteem programme, the Butterfly Foundation body esteem programme & the NZ Nourish body image & media awareness programme.
Body Talk© is a programme; collaboratively designed with students, inspired by NZ’s EDEN ‘Nourish’, Australia’s Butterfly Foundation ‘Free to BE’ & UK’s Dove Self Esteem & Body Image projects, created to assist young people to:
- Understand & deal with thoughts & feelings about physical appearance
- Examine influences on body image with a particular focus on the media & advertising
- Investigate the effects of subconscious elements of social media and influencers on body image
- Practice listening to & appreciating your body
- Understand the concept of ‘health at every size®’
- Understand ‘body neutrality’ – appreciating what your body does rather than what it looks like
- Enhance communication, active listening and relationship building skills
- Eliminate ‘fat talk’ & bias
- Learn about body trust & the dangers of dieting
- Celebrate diversity in themselves & others
- Identify ways to create “body-safe” environments
- Look at current forces for change & how to be a champion for body image reform
Currently young people are faced with more pressure to look “perfect” than at any other time. It is vital to combat this pressure by providing young people with information, alternative perspectives & tools for change.
- body confidence
- self esteem
- critical thinking
- body satisfaction
- body diversity
- positive body image and the idea of body neutrality
- body trust
- anti-bullying and support strategies
This Programme is deliberately NOT about eating disorders, weight or food pyramids, but rather seeks to move EDEN’s ‘LOVE YOUR BODY’, Butterfly Foundation’s ‘Free to BE’ and Dove’s ‘BE REAL’ concepts into action.
Through creative activities, discussions, DVD, images and worksheets, students are able to explore these issues in a variety of learning styles. It is designed to lead young people through an engaging, holistic, optimistic & exciting journey to body confidence.
We are able to work with individual schools to establish a unique programme. Many schools run a Yr 7 Positive Puberty Plus© programme and a Yr 8 Body Talk© programme including a puberty recap.
Influences on Body Image:
- What influences Body Image
- Changing ideas over time
- Different ideas of beauty throughout the world
- Cultural differences
Critical Media Literacy
- Stereotypical images of attractiveness
- Viewing the media critically
- Social Media challenges
Breaking the Mould
- Stereotypical assumptions
- Role Models
- Appearance Bullying
- Body Wonderment / Body neutrality / Body Acceptance
- Body Image
- Self Esteem
- Kindness & Gratitude
- Internal & External Clues
- Body Neutrality
- More than Nutrition
- BMI Myth Busting
- Health at every size®
Taking up Space
- Making new moulds
- Spreading the love
- How to promote confidence in regards to body image
Click here for Testimonials & our most recently visited schools!
Body Talk©: Cost
Components of the course are incorporated age appropriately into all of our in-school Programmes.
Courses are offered in several formats to fit your timetable:
- Full day programme / Workshop – for up to 50 students (absolute max 60)
- Components chosen to form a one off class or presentation (60 – 120 mins)
Presentation / One off class: Please ask for a quote which will depend on the specifics of the length/content of each presentation/class.
2/3 day student programme: 1 group = max. numbers: We suggest a maximum of 50 students per group with an absolute maximum of 60. Please see Terms & Conditions
$420 per group for Auckland based schools/groups
$580 per group for schools/groups based outside of Auckland + as quoted travel/accommodation allowances*.
*If the venue is outside of Auckland &/or a city centre by more than 40 km there may be specific booking Terms / Weeks and/or cost neg. due to travel/accommodation allowance: please contact us for a quote.
- Payment is by internet banking or PayPal.
- Please note that all in-school and group education packages are quoted exclusive of GST