Would you like your tweens to experience a fun, positive, engaging, interactive and informative puberty education, life skills & empowerment programme?
For a no-obilgation quote please contact us with your location, cohort numbers and preferred Term.
Your preferred provider for Primary / Intermediate in-school education (also available for youth groups). NZ-wide!
The programme includes health and wellbeing puberty education alongside parts of our ”Body Talk©’ Programme looking at self esteem, body image, media awareness, critical thinking skills and more.
Delivered through the lens of the World Health Organisation recognised Hauora approach – a unique kiwi tool focusing on achieving wellness through the balance of all our parts – our body, our mind, our spirituality, our social and physical environment.
Delivered over a full school day and designed at two levels – Yr 5&/or6 & Yr 7&/or8.
For Year 7/8 additional components are included – see below. The Yr 5/6 Programme is pitched at a younger age-relevant understanding and is more simplistic than the Yr 7/8 programme. It also contains activities on the topic of body image and the media.
Nest promotes that health and wellness of self is inextricably linked to the health and wellness of the planet and include elements of ‘waste free’ living in all our work.
We meet with the parents/whanau for 60 mins (during an afternoon/evening), some time prior to meeting with the children, to discuss with them the course outline, answer questions etc.
Please note some schools choose not hold a parents/whanau evening.
We then provide a fun educational session for the students (meeting boys and girls together and separately throughout the day dependent on subject matter).
Topics included (but not limited to):
** Please note: some schools pick and mix from this content – consult your school for details. Attending a Whanau Information evening is an opportunity to hear more about the programme, the content your school has chosen and a time to ask questions**
– Changes are normal in body & mind – understanding Hauora.
– Changes happen at different times for different people.
– Understanding glands. Naming hormones and changes.
– Particular changes in male & female anatomy. Physical, social & emotional.
– How to manage changes.
– Personal Hygiene, Nutrition, Hydration, Exercise, Sleep.
– Body acceptance.
– Diversity / feelings / expression of self.
– Greater responsibility. Building trust. Emotional Intelligence.
– Safe choices for handling changing emotions/feelings.
– Techniques for good decision making. Critical thinking skills.
– Self Esteem. Individuality. Body Wonderment.
– Media influence: ‘what’s real’ . Examples of image tweaking.
– Accurate information. Correct words for parts of the body.
– Simple diagrams of anatomy. Age appropriate information about the biology of changes occurring at puberty in the reproductive region (production/release of reproductive cell(s), menstruation in girls and erection/ejaculation (wet dream) in boys
– Sharing the good things & fears about becoming a grown up.
– Look at disposable & washable pads, period undies, cups & tampons (including environmental options). School policy for disposal. (Girls only).
– Where to go for answers to questions and or fears: People you trust and have the knowledge. Resources.
– An opportunity for questions (we encourage the use of a sealed question box).
ADDITIONAL CONTENT FOR YR 7/8 Programme:
– Understanding brain development re. emotional regulation.
– OK/Not OK : Looking after self activity & consent (stepping stone activity to understanding consent).
– Social Media. Anti-bullying: Media manners. Empathy.
– Anxiety management & mindful emotions
– Body image & the media – editing – not comparing & being real
There are also occasions where we are asked to include information targeting specific issues for a school: i.e. anti-drug awareness, safe ways to manage stress (addressing self harming issues) etc. In addition we have an ‘add on’ to this Programme if requested: ‘How are babies made’. Please discuss with us at time of inquiry. Programmes are regularly adapted to an individual school’s/community’s needs. Nest also frequently work in the disability sector.
PUBERTY EDUCATION and NOT SEX EDUCATION!
The teaching material & media utilised is varied, relevant and constantly updated, including:
- PowerPoint (with pictures drawn by NZ artist including use of Te Reo Maori )
- Interactive group activities via team competition: games, quiz, bingo, matching & more
- Discussion, analysis & critical thinking
- DVD clips
- Cartoon clips
- Question & Answer sessions (Anonymous question box, boy/girl group & one to one opportunity)
- Role play
- Show and tell: menstrual products: Girls sample bags with products or vouchers (Boys sample bags available at an additional cost)
- Homework / Activity Sheet
- Parents/Whanau Evening & access to further info via website
- Parent & Teacher access to puberty / body image / sexuality resources / follow on activities and book recommendations via website
- ** For Teachers: Access to Lesson Plans and Health Curriculum links / strands covered.
Click here for Testimonials & here for our most recently visited schools!
Positive Puberty Plus©: Cost
Fees may vary depending on your requirements and are outlined below. We charge per group not per head.
2021: CURRENTLY AWAITING NEWS OF ANY GRANTS AVAILABLE THROUGH NFNZ FOR THIS PROGRAMME! For more details go here: NFNZ Grant Details
Fees: We suggest a maximum of 50 students per group with an absolute maximum of 60. Please see Terms & Conditions
Initial Whanau/Parents Information Evening (60 – 75 mins):
$220 for Auckland based* schools/groups
$280 for schools/groups based outside of Auckland
Student Programme: 1 group = max. numbers: ~25-30 boys AND ~25-30 girls
$450 per group for Auckland based* schools/groups
$600 per group for schools/groups based outside of Auckland + as quoted travel/accommodation allowances*.
*If the venue is outside of Auckland &/or a city centre by more than 40 km there may be specific booking Terms / Weeks and/or cost neg. due to travel/accommodation allowance: please contact us for a quote.
- Payment is by internet banking or PayPal.
- Please note that all in-school and group education packages are quoted exclusive of GST